Monday, August 21, 2006

Judging.

Lately, I've been receiving more comments about how young I look. In medical school, people would tell me that I looked like I was in high school. Now the comments are that I look like I'm 12. Why 12?

Today I recevied two comments in the elevators. One was an abrupt "You too young!" Why thank you for noticing. The next was a sweet older lady saying, "You're a tiny little thing, aren't you?" What am I supposed to say to that? Why yes I am a tiny little thing, thank you for noticing. Now would someone say, "wow you're huge, aren't you" to an obese person?

Because I look young and I'm small, I get lots of comments. Don't get my wrong. I'm satisfied with my body image. It just gets tiresome. What if I was large or tall or big? I suppose I'm guilty of giving unnecssary comments about people's appearances also. I have stopped on occassion and said to a stranger "Oh my goodness, how tall are you?"

Here's another comment from this morning, "First Reynoso, now Gonzalez. Man, you all are taking over."

If you're in the medical field, you know the face of medicine is definitely changing. Medicine was a field dominated by white men who didn't mind working all day long, and all night for that matter. They sacrificied their family and social life and gave their all to medicine. Now we have women and minorities in medicine. I happen to be both.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on!!!

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you sick of people calling you nurse yet just because you're a girl?

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home