Monday, June 05, 2006

Family Conversation & OCD Traits.

My mom calls me the other day... (see Tyson's typical family conversation)

mom: I was watching Stephanie's behavior today and she definitely does not have OCD.
me: Right mom. She doesn't have the disorder but she has traits. (Steph's my 6 yr old cousin)
mom: No, cuz I know kids with OCD and she doesn't have it.
me: Right mom. She doesn't have the disorder. She just has traits. Some behaviors, but not the disorder.
mom: No, those kids are really bad. Steph's behaviors are normal for her age.
me: Are they mom?
mom: Yeah, cuz I know kids with OCD and she doesn't have it. Those kids are really bad.

now this can repeat over and over until I say "okay, mom" or change the topic.

Example OCD behaviors:
-Sorted my Uno cards by colors, numbers and word cards. Pounded on the floor when my stepbrother mixed the cards because he ruined everything.
-Food can't be touching each other or she can't eat it.
-Sorted my photos by those with me, and those without me. Would not let me put them back in order. And noticed a week later that photos got moved.
-Sorted her schoolwork.
Basically, things have to be done a certain way or else it's the end of the world.

2 Comments:

Blogger T Pillow said...

Is it like a mother trait that makes them have conversations but not really listen to what we say? For the record though, Sonia has done that with all of us at some point.

3:38 PM  
Blogger The Gonzfather said...

I had told Sonia this story earlier. When I was a kid, I would often arrange my Hot Wheels cars by color. I even think there was a time that I arranged them chronologically (in order of the copyright date located under each car.) Also, some of the cars had the name of the car printed underneath and some did not. Man, it bugged me when they didn't put the name of the car underneath.

4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home